Why "Gluten Free" Menus Are Dangerous

January 26, 2018


Every restaurant and their mothers are offering "Gluten-Free" menus right now. Being Gluten-free is seen as the latest diet craze. Most people have no idea what is now the latest fad really started as a diet restriction for people who are allergic to gluten or are Celiac. We are gluten-free because we have to be. There is no "cheat" day for us.

A big problem for those of us who are gluten-free because of health issues is gluten contamination. For me personally, as a celiac, if I have 20 parts per million or more of gluten I have terrible stomach pain, my digestive system either shuts down or goes into overdrive and for days after I feel worn down, tired and have continued stomach pain.

So that brings us to the title. It's not click bating you at all. The "Gluten-Free" menus offered at most places offer up contamination. Almost every place has one nowadays. Most places have not been properly trained to prevent cross-contamination.

They place all the natural GF food ina "Gluten-Free" section but just because it is naturally GF doesn't mean it stays that way. Depending on how it is prepared, the space in which it is prepared, the utensils used in the cooking process and if gloves were changed. All of these things open the door for contamination.

For Celiacs that can mean days of pain and suffering. When restaurants make a GF menu most do not label it as "not celiac safe" or "possible contamination." Now you might be saying that some of these issues can be fixed by telling the staff. This would be true if most staff do not pass you off as some GF Diet fader who makes a big deal about a GF meal and then orders a big slice of cake for dessert.

The people on a GF diet "because gluten makes you fat" makes it harder for those of us you have a medical condition. When your out to eat you don't want to have to say you have a disease but most of the time we have to to be taken seriously.

"Gluten-free" menus really tick me off because there are some that are marked "not recommended for celiacs" which makes me ask Why do it if you aren't going to do it right? You're just pandering to the GF faders and leaving the celiacs and gluten intolerant and allergic out.

It's even worse when you'd left up to a guessing game or if a "Gluten-Free" product has a fine print that reads "this item was prepared in a facility where gluten, peanuts, etc are used." Like what?! 

DO NOT MAKE GLUTEN-FREE FOOD UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT RIGHT! Take the steps to prevent contamination or do not advertise your food as gluten-free!

If you are a celiac or gluten allergic or intolerant person please do the research to know everything gluten comes in and read all labels and fine prints!


If you have no idea what celiac is or why I'm yelling about this check out my post I Was Diagnosed With Celiac Disease. I explain celiac disease there.


Thanks so much for reading this post! I hope you enjoyed it! Please leave a like if you did, it's much appreciated!

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me or leave them in the comments below. 







Photo Credit: Photo taken by me with a Canon EOS Rebel T5 with an 18-55mm lens and edited by me in Photoshop.

**This post was not sponsored**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...