My Favorite Cruelty Free Brands

March 21, 2017


I love makeup but I love it even more when it's cruelty-free! If you are new to makeup or maybe just never heard the term, cruelty-free means the products are not tested on animals at any point, whether that means the ingredients in the products before production, or test of the product during or after production.

Brands that the considered cruelty free are brands that never test their products on animals in any way. There are brands who do not test on animals themselves but sell their products in countries like China. China requires animal testing by law so if a company sells their products in China they must submit products for testing. So these brands are not considered cruelty free.

A lot of people in the cruelty free beauty community consider cruelty free brands that are owned by non-cruelty free brands to not be cruelty free. A few brands in this post are owned by non-cruelty free brands. I will mention if a company has a parent company that is not cruelty-free.


First I want to start with a brand I really love but is in a bit if a rocky place with the cruelty-free community. Too Faced Cosmetics. Too Faced has been a member of PETA's Beauty Without Bunnies cruelty-free program since 2001 which is amazing but recently Too Faced was bought by Estée Lauder. Estée Lauder sells in China so they are not a cruelty-free brand.

As of the time I'm writing this Too Faced it still a PETA member and is still 100% cruelty-free but a lot of people are wondering if having Estée Lauder as a parent company will change that. I really hope that Too Faced stays 100% cruelty-free.



Next, I want to talk about a newly cruelty-free company. Stila Cosmetics. Stila started out cruelty-free, then in 2013 began to sell in China but in February 2017 they pulled all sales out of China and are now 100% cruelty-free again! I love Stila so I've very happy to hear they are cruelty-free again!



Now let's talk about a drugstore brand. elf Cosmetics. Elf is super affordable and 100% cruelty-free! All of their makeup products are vegan and some of their brushes and skin care are vegan! I love Elf! Until recently they were only available at Target but now they are at Ulta too! 



Keeping in the drugstore another great brand NYX Cosmetics is cruelty-free! However, they are owned by L'Oreal which sells in China. NYX products, however, do not sell in China keeping NYX 100% cruelty-free!



I love Urban Decay and they too are cruelty-free but owned by L'Oreal. Urban Decay themselves so not sell in China and offer vegan products.



I recently starting using Tarte and I love it! Tarte is a PETA member like Too Faced. But also like Too Faced they have a parent company that is not cruelty-free. Tarte is owned by a company in Japan called KOSE.

Some people in the cruelty-free community think that this makes Tarte non-cruelty free. As of the time I'm writing this, Tarte is still a PETA member.



Let's take about a makeup tool brand. Real Techniques. Real Techniques was started by two YouTubers (and sisters) Nic & Sam Chapman. Their products are 100% cruelty-free and vegan! They are amazing brushes and feel so soft! I love RT!



Lastly, I want to talk about Sonia Kashuk. Sonia Kashuk is owned by Target and is 100% cruelty-free. Target carries a huge selection of cruelty-free products that extend beyond makeup. Check out Logical Harmony's list.







Cruelty-Free Brands Mentioned:

Too Faced Cosmetics - Parent Company is not cruelty-free

Stila Cosmetics

elf Cosmetics - All makeup products are vegan, some brushes and skincare are vegan

NYX Cosmetics - Parent Company is not cruelty-free

Urban Decay Cosmetics - Parent Company is not cruelty-free

Tarte Cosmetics - Parent Company is not cruelty-free

Real Techniques - All products are cruelty-free and vegan!

Sonia Kashuk






If you want to check out a huge and really well-made list of cruelty-free brands you can check that out on Logical Harmony. Tashia does a ton of posts on cruelty-free brands and vegan products!

I love when makeup is cruelty-free but I have to admit I am guilty of using brands that sell in China. I love Rimmel and Maybelline. I hope they follow Stila and pull out of China.

What cruelty-free brands do you love? What are your thoughts on cruelty-free brands being owned by companies that aren't cruelty-free? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks so much for reading this post! I hope you enjoyed it! Please leave a like if you did, it's much appreciated!  

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me.








Photo credit: Cover photo taken by me and edited by me in Photoshop.

**This post was not sponsored.** 

1 comment:

  1. NYX and Urban Decay are such good brands, and makes it even better that they are cruelty free! :) Tania Michele xx

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...