My Relationship with Makeup and the ways my makeup tastes have changed

June 01, 2019


I remember my first makeup experience as playing dress up. My mom has a photo of me at 5 or 6 with my hair in a ponytail on top of my head with this fake fur wrap and bright pinky red lipstick. My next experience was when I was 11 or 12. My sister gave me some makeup from Dollar General for Christmas. It was a Maybelline Mascara, the hot pink and lime green one, a no-brand bright shadow palette, liquid eyeliner and there might have been a lip gloss. I can't remember. I've always disliked it. What can I say?


I went out for my 12th? or 13th? birthday to Pittsburgh with my sister. I had this pink and blue graffiti tank top that I was wearing under a black Victoria Secret crop top. So I put bubblegum pink on one lid and cotton candy blue on the other. No shading just one flat colour. How 2010/2011 is that? I also attempted a wing and it was pretty much pointing down.

After that, I tried to wear liner to school now and then for a few years. I had been obsessed with red lipstick for as long as I can remember but I wasn't a lot to have any. One day I was at my sister's in-laws with her and her hubbs Aunt was selling Avon. I had some cash in my pocket and ordered a matte red lipstick. *Insert evil laugh*

My mom had no idea until it came. I still couldn't wear it anywhere but I wore it around the house quite a bit.

Fast forward to 2014 and I realized that YouTube was more than just Jenna Marbles. I discovered that there were tons of people online talking about makeup. At this point, I lived with my dad and I was allowed to do so much more than I ever could. In just a few weeks I had a BB cream, powder, bronzer, Blush and eyeliner. I also got a few matte shadows singles and used my pink and orange blush as shadow from time to time.

It's at this point I'd like to confess and apologise. I was... I was one of those people that wore shadow and liner with no mascara. I'm so sorry! I've since learned the error of my ways. After getting a good mascara and a new curling wand my lashes actually stayed up and didn't bump my glasses and I stopped going out with powder lashed.

I feel deeper and deeper. Quickly started drowning in lipstick. And now even eyeshadow palettes. I always loved Red and Berries and started getting one or two or six every time I when to the store.

For a long time, I only liked Matte shadow. I thought that the shining glare on my glasses in the morning sun was the shadow. Then I realized one day that it was actually my under eyes because they didn't have enough powder. I finally learned to bake in 2018 and my vision in the sun was saved!

As for the shimmery stuff I fell in love with it in January 2017. When I swatched the shade Chai in Lorac Pro To Go palette. It was just magical and I was sold! It was stunning and I had to start using it!

Like baking, I was also sold on highlighter in 2018. I decided to use some of the cream shimmer shade from the Urban Decay Basics palette as a highlight. I was going to a wedding and figured, why not go all out? I loved it! I can't believe I wrote it off for so long!


So as I grew my routine grew. My current routine has more steps than a Koren skincare regime. But I want to change that. At least for some days. My ache has been really bad for the last few years so I've gone all out when I actually put on makeup. The full 9 years. Well more like 12, maybe 15.

My routine is as follows, Primer, Foundation, Brighter concealer for eyes, spot concealer, bake the whole face, eye shadow, liner, mascara, whip bake, bronzer, blush, highlight, lips.

It takes twice as long as it sounds. I hate that if I want to wear makeup I have to get up 2 hours early. I'm finally getting my acne under control and it's starting to clear up. I really want to get to the place where I can use bb cream and concealer as a base and be done. Doing all my base stuff just so I can wear a fun eye look and lips is such a hassle. Especially if I'm just going to run errands. I love doing shadow looks but the base routine is so much now that I usually just can't be bothered.

And that's how my tastes have changed. I still want to have fun and play with shadow but I don't want to have to make a runway perfect base each time. I'm so excited at the idea that I may soon be able to go back to my BB cream days!

So I'd love so BB Cream suggestions! Let me know your favourites!

Thanks so much for reading this post! I hope you enjoyed it! Please leave a like if you did, it's much appreciated!

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me or leave them in the comments below. 








Photo Credit: Photo taken by me with a Canon EOS Rebel T5 with an 18-55mm lens and edited by me in Photoshop.

**This post was not sponsored**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...