Getting a Real Handle on my Chronic Depression | Mental Health + Me

February 13, 2019


Over the last few months, my depression has been getting the best of me. I was crying at Pizza commercials, damn you celiac!, I was sleeping a normal amount to a little bit more but I was still always tired. I recently started going to the doctor regularly because I was also losing fights with my allergies. I talked to about being tired and she asked about anxiety and depression, both are boxes I tick. 

I've talked in their series before about how I've had chronic depression since I was 12 or 13. I thoughted I'm moved on from the real bad parts but stress has been bringing it out again lately. I never got professional help. I thought that since I'd gotten through the darkest days I'd be ok. But my living situation changed this past year and stress brought up crying spells I thought behind me. 

My doctor suggested we try an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant. The crying was getting very, very bad and I've been waiting to look into professional help for a while so I said yes. Now medication is not for everyone, the same pills that work for one person may have negative effects on others. My doctor said, "let's try this popular one first and see if we need to change it after a month or two."  But let me tell you, the medicine has been a godsend for me! I noticed a change after just a couple days and I find that I've been doing better and better over time. I'm not crying every day anymore. I'm not crying at pizza or other gluteny commercials.

I do think that being diagnosed with celiac is part of what brought on this dark period. I noticed that as I got farther and farther into my first gluten-free year I was getting sadder and sadder. The sadder I got the more tired I got. The more tired I got the more I wanted to cry. One problem was feeding another. It was time to do something.

My doctor has also set me up with a therapist and I'm really excited to go. The weather has been bad so I haven't gotten to go but I made an appointment now and I keep glancing at the calendar every so often.

Getting help like this has been something that I've needed for a long time. Something that I should have gotten a long time ago. I'm ready to truly confront my issues and really deal with them. I've acknowledged them in the past but I've never truly worked through them. And about 10 years I think it's about damn time.

Thanks so much for reading this post! I hope you enjoyed it! Please leave a like if you did, it's much appreciated!

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me or leave them in the comments below. 








Photo Credit: Photo taken by me with a Canon EOS Rebel T5 with an 18-55mm lens and edited by me in Photoshop.

**This post was not sponsored**

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're able to talk so openly about this. I feel like this post may be exactly what someone needs to read when trying to come to terms with their own struggle because it will show them that a) they aren't alone and b) there is nothing wrong with taking medication if it's going to help you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s partly why I write these posts. It was so hard for me felling alone for so long. I kept everything bottled up for so long I just need to get these things out.

      Delete

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...