My Artist Story and Sketchbook Tour + Artist that Inspire Me

February 04, 2019


I've always been artistic in some way or another. I loved colouring books and being as real to the real colours as I could. I wanted the biggest box of crayons I could find. I've always doodled since I was a kid. I doodled hearts and animals. I used to love drawing the front of our house in great detail. And in middle school, I made splatter paintings in art class every chance I got.


In the last few years, I've dived deeper into art. I got more into sketching and sketched my nephew's eyes. I started sketching house plans and kitchen cabinets. I blame Pinterest with its beautiful kitchen photos entirely.

Then about a year and a half ago, almost two years ago, I discovered Dorkface. Jemma makes beautiful paintings and digital drawings. She inspired me and I started painting abstract art and getting into digital drawing. I fell in with it. (Check out Jemma's Blog and Insta)

I got an art Tablet for Xmas '17 and started drawing so much more. I started drawing things like alien ships and mountains and the moon. I started playing with watercolour Photoshop brushes. I also started doing paintings with a solid background and a bunch of colour streaks on top.

Drew a lot of digital pieces in 2018. I liked drawing objects and landscapes. I liked blacks and purples the most. I drew an alien spaceship in the night sky over a forest, a scene of mountains with a galaxy sky. I drew a full moon and a set of moon phases. 










Then I wanted to play with fanart. So I started making Harry Potter pieces. I made a crest for each house then made a Hogwarts crest. I then decided to go back to my spacey theme and make a Rick and Morty Portal in space.

After that, I drew a scales outline piece. I planned to just make mermaid colours but I decided to make Dragon Scales for Dany's dragons on GOT. So I did red and black for Drogon, green and cream for Rhaegal, and cream with red for Viserion. I also did an all black one for a "midnight dragon", purple and blue for a mermaid, a aqua with cream and a rainbow, which could be a mermaid or dragon. I also kind of imagined them as unicorn scales.






















As you can probably tell I really like to do my art in portrait. I find I usually do my physical art in portrait too. I think we all have the instinct to do portrait because of the way most sketchbooks are orientated. Maybe I should challenge myself to draw something in landscape that I'd typically do in portrait.

Around October I decided I wanted to digitally draw a Bullet Journal and print it. I've finished 6 months so far and my yearly pages. These are my favourites.















So that's where I was in my art journey until the start of 2019. In January I discovered some Artists on YouTube and have become obsessed with physical art and creating characters. I've never really wanted to do characters before now. Drawing people, cartoon or realistic, in intimidating.

But in January I was watching Hannah Hoffman, an animator who I adore and she was making a video with Echo Gillette. After watching a few of Echo's videos I was addicted to her channel and I found myself really wanting to create some original characters. I started watching all her videos and through her, I found some other really amazing artist. Like Rin aka DrawingWiffWafflesChloe Rose ArtBaylee Jae and Kasey Golden.

I have become addicted to all of their videos and have become obsessed with the concept of original characters. I've drawn more in the last 3 weeks than I had in the whole middle of 2018. I've ordered alcohol markers and fine-liner pens. I've started to come up with original character concepts and I can't wait to finally draw Zelda Faye, the main character in one of my work-in-progress novels.

I've created a witch character named Zafina and I've done some basic sketch work for her. It was  really quick piece so I'm really excited to sit down and really draw her out when my new art stuff gets here.

I'm so excited that I've found a new breath of air for my passion in art. I've joined an online art community and I really want to create an OC from polls posted their. I'm just really ecstatic about getting back into art. I've missed creating like this.

Are you an artist or just like drawing? Tell me what you love to draw most in the comments!

Thanks so much for reading this post! I hope you enjoyed it! Please leave a like if you did, it's much appreciated!

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me or leave them in the comments below. 







Photo Credit: Photo taken by me with a Canon EOS Rebel T5 with an 18-55mm lens and edited by me in Photoshop.


**This post was not sponsored**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...