Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Blogging

July 07, 2017


I think every blogger writes a post like this at some point. We look back at when we started and wish someone had given us some words of wisdom. So today I want to tell you the things I wish I knew when I started blogging.


Grammar mistakes aren't going to ruin the world.

Forgetting an s at the end of a word. I mean I still check for bad grammar but I have given up on checking to for every s and if all the nouns are capitalized. I used to read over every post a million times before uploading. But after 2 years I'm so tired of checking every world. Now I give it a quick read and that's that.




Numbers don't matter.

I never really put a lot in the numbers but I did worry at first when they were really low. Don't worry. Keep writing and they will rise.




You don't need a niche.

I never really felt the need to keep to a niche but at the same time I never wrote anything other than beauty and lifestyle. When I started I wanted to write about other things but never did. Write only about beauty caused me to burn out on it. I lost all motivation to write about it and didn't really want to do my makeup and lost interest in new products.

I broke away from niche writing this year and I couldn't be happier.





Write for you, not everyone else.

Now this is what I started with. I wrote what I wanted. I never really stopped but I got so into one niche I lost the will to write at all.





The colors you chose are kind of shit.

This is aimed purely at me. I had a mint background with a coral accent color. I don't know what I was thinking and I wish someone had yelled "you need a white background!" at me.




Stock photos should be a last resort.

I think this is my personal preference but I used way to many stock photos when I first started. I am in the process of re-placing all the ones on my blog and will do everything I can to never use one on my blog again.




Don't use a flash on your photos!

Like what are you doing?! It looks shit and you have no idea. I had only shot nature photography when I started blogging so I had no idea how to shoot inside or how to edit them. I'm in the process of re-taking all of these photos too.




Your posts don't need to be so long.

They can be long but they don't have to be. In fact a couple of your posts should have been split into parts because that are way to damn long. It's ok to write shorter posts!

Someone should have screamed this at me. I once wrote a post that was 1,400+ words long. What is wrong with me?! Was I writing a college paper? Did I forget I was writing a blog post and not a chapter of my novel? I don't know what I was doing.






I honestly think I could keep going but taking my own advice from the last one I think I'll stop here. I don't want to make this post too long.

Are you a blogger? How long have you been blogging? What did you wish you knew when you started? Are you a new blogger? Let me know your thoughts on my list in the comments below!

Thanks so much for reading this post! I hope you enjoyed it! Please leave a like if you did, it's much appreciated!

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me or leave them in the comments below. 






Photo Credit: Photo taken by me with a Canon Rebel T5 with a 18-55mm Lens and edited by me in photoshop.

**This post is not sponsored**

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this post! I've been blogging since December and I'm still learning a looot, but I definitely agree with the photos one. I'm actually proud of how far I've come with photography since starting blogging!
    Have a lovely day!
    -Cait xx
    https://passionatemindblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post and I definitely made some mistakes you did when I started blogging but seeing my blog improve over time is worth all the mistakes I made!
    xx

    Sinead | www.subjectbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...