Let's Talk about Social Media Algorithms and the state of YouTube

November 19, 2018


Algorithms are our worst enemies now. On YouTube, you are sort of overlooked by the system if you make more than one type of content. On Instagram, it is unlikely your followers will see anything unless you post multiple photos a day and honestly they probably have something similar to the YouTube function. Or at the very least people prefer that an IG account have a theme and one topic like blog photos or fashion or photography. On Twitter, it's a bit more laid back but it's still sort of expected to have a sperate account for blog or Etsy or other promo types. If you have a blog and an Etsy store and are also on YouTube and into other hobbies, you can end up drowning in social media accounts. Well, I've decided to just say fuck it.

I've had multiple Instagrams. My personal account that also had blog stuff and my pro photography on it, a blog only, a photography only, one for my graphic designs, one for my artwork. I even thought about making one for my Etsy shop. I think I had a couple others but IG only lets you have 5 accounts at a time signed in and I had to sign out of a couple. 

I got really tired of trying to manage so many accounts. I gave up. I can barely get myself to post on my own IG feed. I will say I have thought about starting up the photography one again as that does make sense for it to have it's own. 

I had just about as many accounts for Twitter. And again I never posted to them. It was exhausting trying to keep up with them.

And now YouTube pretty much kills your channel's chances at recommended if you upload multiple styles of content. That's why Jordan Maron AKA CaptainSparklez has 7 active channels. He wants to create all sorts of content but the CS channel took a dive when he tried to do it all on one channel. It was split or die.

I'm in the midst of starting my own channel that will mostly be beauty and style videos to link to blog post here. But I also want to do random "fuckery" videos like Jenna Marbles and maybe some gameplay when a great game comes along. So I can relive my first time playing over and over. But as a new channel doing all these things would make it very hard to grow. It's very discouraging.

I've decided to sort of say fuck it. One Twitter, one Instagram. It's been so hard to grow recently that I need to put it all in one. It feels like I may need to change it a bit on Twitter soon, as my shop grows it may need its own account but for the time being I feel like it's is fine with one. And I'm working on finding a good balance with Instagram. I've actually debated on removing everything on my feed and starting from scratch. But I doubt I'd ever do it.

But I'm torn really with YouTube. Do I make a ZombieGoddess Beauty channel for blog related stuff and keep the ZombieGoddessxi channel for fuckery and video games? I'd like to have just one channel but I feel like it would be impossible to grow. It's easier to have one channel. Probably be more fun for me too.

I'd like to hope I could make a channel this way. But is it really possible to grow with one account that focuses on everything you do? Or are people so used to the way everything is specialized and categorized? Will people be willing to follow my twitter if I post about shop stuff all the time? Will people what to follow my Instagram with my pro photos if blog photos and life stuff are mixed in?'

YouTube channels started out being about the YouTuber. Now it's about how marketable the content can be. It's really sad. Should I just say fuck it about YouTube too? Just make it all on one channel and see what happens? If I do split it into two what happens if I ever want to upload a vlog style video?

What are your thoughts on the algorithms and the state YouTube is in? Making creators make channels upon channels? Let me know in the comments. Let's have a real chat about this.

Thanks so much for reading this post! I hope you enjoyed it! Please leave a like if you did, it's much appreciated!

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me or leave them in the comments below. 








Photo Credit: Photo taken by me with a Canon EOS Rebel T5 with an 18-55mm lens and edited by me in Photoshop.

**This post was not sponsored**

1 comment:

  1. I'm an Instagrammer and I can totally relate with the whole algorithm changes! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and glad we feel the same way! xx
    Carissa | http://carissalam.com/

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...