e.l.f. Cosmetics Mad for Matte Summer Breeze Palette VS Smashbox CoverShot: Ablaze Palette | Product VS

June 17, 2018


In April I did a post about the new Elf Chromatic Palette being a possible dupe for the Smashbox Ablaze palette. In that post, I realized a possible better dupe would be the Elf Mad for Matte 2 palette. Also, know a summer breeze it is a warm palette with super pretty autumn vibes. So today, as promised at the end of the last Elf vs Smashbox post today I'm going to put these two against each other.

Like I said last time I fell head over heels for Ablaze as soon as it came out. It was the first in this new line of firey toned palettes. I love the autumn tones and I'm obsessed with all of these new palettes.

I bought the Chromatic palette just to test it against the Ablaze but with this palette, I just fell for the colours. When looking through my photos I realized how similar they were and had to do a post like this.




As you can see the colours are really similar. But how do they match up? How soft are the elf shadows compared to the Smashbox ones? How does the pigment compare? How's the wear and wear time match up?

Let's start with texture. One of my favourite things about Smashbox shadow is how soft and velvety they are. They aren't dry and have really nice pigment and feel great on the eyes. You can find my full review here.








I was so surprised at how soft the elf shadows are. They are $1 a pan and you could never tell. They are really soft and smooth. They build and blend nicely and have a good pigmentation. The elf palette really exceeded expectations. You can find my full review here.








So quality wise the elf palette is great and really holds up to the Ablaze. I mean I can definitely tell the difference when feeling them both but the elf still feels really close to the Ablaze. They feel almost identical when on the lid or swatched.

Before we get to swatches there is a big difference in these palettes. The elf one is 100% matte. No shimmer, no glimmer. Nothing. No satin either. The Ablaze comes with # Shimmer Shades, the 2 bricks on top and the pink shade on the left side. The red and orange shades also have a satin finish. The elf palette has nothing.

If you like that matte look or don't mind carrying some shimmer shadows then that really isn't an issue. I actually really like that the elf is 100% matte. It's easier to make an all matte base and pop on a shimmer accent shade.




Now on to the part you're all really here for, the Swatch Battle!



SMASHBOX COVERSHOT: ABLAZE



The lightest shade is there I'm just so pale you can't see it.



ELF MAD FOR MATTE - SUMMER BREEZE








Colour wise you can see there is a shade in the elf palette for all the Ablaze shades and more. The pigmentation levels match up pretty well and the colours of both are lovely. I also really love that the elf palette has a black.



So which would I recommend? I adore my Ablaze but I love the that you can create a full matte look or matte base with the elf palette. I think the elf is a great dupe as long as you don't mind the all matte. Personally, I love that. Adding some shimmer singles to my bag is fine with me.

The elf palette is only $10 with is just $1 a pan. The Smashbox palette is $29 for 8 shadows. The elf palette is a steal! All of them are! I have 4 now. The Ablaze is a great palette to have in your collection but if you are after one or the other, the elf palette is a better deal and is a great dupe for Ablaze.

Have you tried either palette? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

Thanks so much for reading this post! I hope you enjoyed it! Please leave a like if you did, it's much appreciated!

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me or leave them in the comments below. 









Photo Credit: Photo taken by me with a Canon EOS Rebel T5 with an 18-55mm lens and edited by me in Photoshop.

**This post was not sponsored**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...