Beauty Basics - The Ways of Eyeshadow

July 08, 2015


Eyeshadow is the most complex part of makeup. There are quite a few terms for the parts of the eye. When you’re new to makeup and you watch tutorials or see posts on Pinterest about eyeshadow they talk about tightlining, and the brow bone, and the crease.

Every little part of the eye area has a name. In this post I’m going to go over the different names and where they are referring to.

Eyeshadow is one of my favorite things about makeup because you can do anything with it. You can wear one color or a bunch of colors. I personally stick to a minimum of 4 or 5 colors depending on how much I blend and whether they are bright or nude shades. I love how expressive you can be with eyeshadow!

So let’s get into this!


Eyeshadow Terms:
  • Outer Corner
  • Inner Corner
  • Outer Lid
  • Lid
  • Crease
  • Brow Bone
  • Tightline
  • Waterline
  • Underline


Outer Corner
This one is kind of obvious. It is the outside corner of your eyes.



Inner Corner
Again obvious. The inner corner of your eyes. People usually put a light shade or white on the inner corner to highlight.



Outer Lid
This is the outer half, or so, of your eye lid. This is typically where the darker shade goes on a smokey eye.



Lid
This is just referring to the lid in general. People typically apply the lightest shade to their whole lid as a sort of base. They would then apply the outer lid color over it.
 


Crease
This is right where your lid creases. It is the area right where you eye ball meets the bone. When your eyes are fully open you usually don’t see this part of your lid but it creates a cool shadow effect to apply color to your crease and it looks great when you look down or close your eyes.




Brow Bone
The brow bone is referring to the highpoint of the brow bone that is just under the arch of your brow. People usually highlight this area to make it look higher.





Tightline
Tightlining is when you apply eyeliner to the inner top lash line.



Waterline
The waterline is the inner bottom lash line.



Underline
This is a term that I use to describe applying eyeshadow on the bottom lash line as eyeliner.



I hope this made sense. And I hope this helps you the next time you are watching a beauty tutorial or see an eyeshadow how-to on Pinterest.

       
This is a post in my Beauty Basics series. I’m breaking down the basics of makeup and beauty for beginners. I’m not a makeup vet but I’m not a beginner either. You can check out my other Beauty Basics posts here.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to message me. If you liked this post or topic let me know in the comments below. Much Love!






Disclaimer: I AM NOT a professional makeup artist. You could say I am a self taught makeup artist as I have taught myself a lot though trial and error and playing with makeup. I have researched a lot of things on makeup over the past few years. I’m not claiming to know everything but I think I’ve got the basics down and want to make learning them easier for anyone just starting to get into makeup. I am not a newbie anymore but I’m not makeup vet either.


Photo Credit: Cover Photo - Background from Make it Create and edited by me.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8.7.15

    Love the blog colors. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these polka dots.
    I didn't know what an underline was

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to look heavenly, you should not forget about the cosmetic products you use. Sometimes it is not necessary to buy the cheapest ones.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...