Beauty Basics - Is there a right or wrong way to apply makeup?

May 21, 2015


So in my last post I told you what all the products are, what they do and where they go. So now the question is applying it, is there a special order it goes on? Is there a right or wrong way to apply it? Getting straight to the point, no. 

Everyone applies their makeup differently. The order can change from person to person. Some people start with the base then the eyes and others start with the eyes then apply the base.

There are tons of posts on Pinterest that tell you “the right way to apply makeup.” And while that is no wrong way to apply your makeup there is no right way either.

Some products have to go before others. Like the face base products have an order. But you can apply the cheek stuff in any order your want. The eye primer goes on first and then what goes on the eyes is up to you. You can apply the eyes first then the face base then the cheeks then lips, or the face base then cheeks then the eyes then the lips or the face base then the eyes then the cheeks then the lips. The products in the categories have to go in order but the order you apply the categories is up to you.

The categories are face base, cheeks, eyes, and lips. All the products in these four categories should be applied in a certain order, except cheek, but the order you apply the categories is up to you. I’ll list the products of each category in order of application.





Face Base

Moisturizer (no matter what your skin type is you need to moisturize your face)

Face Primer (primer isn’t something you have to wear but if you do it goes first)

Foundation/BB Cream/CC Cream

Concealer (some people put it under their foundation but your foundation may cover enough that you won’t need concealer.)

Pressed Powder/Setting Powder/Blotting Powder



 
Cheek (and other places you can apply these products)

The order you apply these are up to you.

Bronzer

Blush

Highlighter




 

Eyes

Eyebrows (Doing your eyebrows first makes it easier to plot out your eye shadow)

Tightline Eyeliner (just a suggestion. Do it first and you won’t mess up your shadow)

Eye shadow primer (Not necessary but I suggest it)

Eye Shadow(s)

Eyelid Eyeliner

Waterline Liner

Mascara



 

Lips

Lip Primer (if you want to wear it)

Lip Liner (if you want to wear it)

Any other lip products




 

What order do I apply my makeup?

I go for face base, cheeks, eyes, lips. My application of products and routine after I wash my face in the morning goes like this:


  1.) Hydrator

  2.) Moisturizer

  3.) Face Primer

  4.) Foundation or BB/CC Cream

  5.) Concealer

  6.) Pressed Powder

  7.) Bronzer

  8.) Blush

  9.) Highlighter

10.) Eyebrows

11.) Tightline Liner

12.) Eye Shadow Primer

13.) Eye Shadow

14.) Eyelid Liner

15.) Waterline Liner

16.) Under eye Shadow (If I’m doing any that day)

17.) Curl Lashes

18.) Mascara

19.) Lips

 Some days I skip the all eye stuff and just curl my lashes then run a clean spoolie brush through them to spread them out.


Some people prefer to do eyes first in case there is any fallout from the eye shadow. I tap my brushes really well so I feel safe applying the rest of my face first. Play around with the order of makeup until you find a routine you are comfortable with.










Disclaimer: I AM NOT a professional makeup artist. You could say I am a self taught makeup artist as I have taught myself a lot though trial and error and playing with makeup. I have researched a lot of things on makeup over the past few years. I’m not claiming to know everything but I think I’ve got the basics down and want to make learning them easier for anyone just starting to get into makeup. I am not a newbie anymore but I’m not makeup vet either. 


Photo Credit: Cover Photo - Background from Make it Create and edited by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the comments! I love reading comments and replying to you all! I love chatting with you all! So please leave me a comment and let’s chat!

Make sure you tick the box to get emails so you know when I reply!

**All comments are now published right away but are still moderated. Spam and rude comments will be deleted right away. Full list of comment rules can be found on the disclaimer page.**

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...